We created this site in March 2000 with the hope of expanding our own family research, and, in the process, discovered a wealth of Port Hope/Hope Township resources. Hopefully, you will find something of value in these 200+ pages and might have something you can share.
In 2017, we were honoured to have the Ontario Genealogical Society (OGS) approach us to partner with them to ensure our future continued online presence. To access their website, please click the OGS logo.
- Barbara Kyle & Peter Bolton
Note As many of our visitors use mobile devices, we have modified the entire site so that the web pages are sized correctly for better viewing on smaller screens. The content and overall appearance is unchanged.
- 16 October 2021: indexing the deaths listed in the 1995 issues of the Evening Guide (Jan-16 Mar)
- 01 September 2021: Updated George Sweanor's Military Contributions of a Small Town with Jozef Dragun and Edward William Walker Jr.
To display a page, click the icon.
- Bolton, Gray, Powell, Thomas (Buckinghamshire/Middlesex)
- Skitch, Peardon, Bailey, Harris (Cornwall/Devon)
- Nicholas (Yorkshire)
- Holloway (England)
- Kyle, Carse, Oliver, White (Northumberland, England)
- Currie (Argyll, Scotland)
- Monaghan, Mills, Beatty, McCleary, Campbell (Ireland)
- Frederick, Rush (Loyalists from New Jersey)
- Greenleaf (Bergen Co., New Jersey)
- Marshall, O'Connell (Quebec)
Perhaps your family
Port Hope and Hope Township resource materials
Speed up your browsing of our 200+ pages with this site search engine. Spelling varies considerably on many of the earlier documents, so you might still want to do some manual searching.
Note There may be some pages that this free version does not search.
|Search engine by freefind|
- Crown Deeds of Hope Township
- Elias Smith's 1799 Hope Township report
- Augustus Jones' 1799 Hope Township report
- 1801-1806 Port Hope/Hope Township Oaths of Allegiance
- 1802-1807, 1842-1847 Hope Township tax assessment rolls
- 1803-1841, 1850 Hope Township census indexes
- 1847, 1913 Port Hope assessment rolls
- 1851-1921 Port Hope/Hope Township census returns
- 1856, 1857/'58 business directories
- 1890, 1891 financial reports of the Methodist Church, Canton Circuit
- c1898, 1900 Port Hope Bell Telephone directories
- 1920 Hope Township voters list
- 1867-1955 land registry instruments indexes
- 2008 Port Hope/Hope Township assessment rolls
133 baptisms (1854-1884) from Our Lady of Mercy Roman Catholic Church (Port Hope) registers
The entire BMD (1853-1920) image set for the Church online has not been indexed, so you will need to go through them page by page. Open a free account with the LDS, at which point the above link will work.
Port Hope/Hope Township extractions from Trent University Archive's extensive collection (#83-016), beginning with this listing of 273 births (1869-1872) from the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham Vital Statistics fonds and transcribed through the kindness of Archivist Bernadine Dodge.
238 Port Hope/Hope Twp. marriages (1869-1872) from the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham Vital Statistics fonds (#83-016). Included are several recently-discovered marriage entries in the 1825-1848 range.
Extracts from the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham Vital Statistics Additions fonds - 1838-1855 (#84-004): baptismal records; marriage lists; and burial lists. The transcription maintains the original spelling - except where known errors have been corrected - so it would be advisable to manually check the database, in addition to using the search engine.
260 Port Hope/Hope Township inquests from the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham Court Records fonds - 1832-1914 (#84-020). This transcription also maintains the original spelling, so you should manually search the database.
Examples of the inquest procedure are shown for Robert Best, who died of exposure in the northern section of Hope Township in 1867, and for James McCabe, a Kingston Penitentiary escapee, shot in Port Hope by Constable William Rankin in 1883.
Elizabeth Hancocks, of Generation Press, has given permission to list the Port Hope/Hope Township probate entries from Surrogate Court Index of Ontario (1859-1900) Volume 4, Northumberland and Durham Counties.
Conflicts prior to the two world wars
World War I
Book of Remembrance: Local Participants in the Great War (1914-1918)
This transcription of the original book includes photographs on permanent display at the Town Hall.
A page of biographies and/or photos of soldiers who took part in the Great War, but were not commemorated.
World War II and the Korean War
Community plays performed by Port Hope citizens: Little Snow White (1908); Fi-Fi of the Toy Shop (1915); The Minister's Bride (1917); The Minister's Wife's New Bonnet (1922); Princess Chrysanthemum (1928); That's That (1929); Page the Prince (1930); A Royal Cut-Up (1930); and The Beauty Shop (1933)
Sources of information
While happy to search out and transcribe resources for this site, we do not have the time to fill requests for photocopies. If you are looking for information on families beyond what we have on these pages, please contact the Library or the Archives. Please let us know if a hyperlink is not working.
Happy searching...and good luck!
Barbara Kyle & Peter Bolton, UE
Port Hope, Ontario, Canada
In partnering with us, the Ontario Genealogical Society has assumed our costs of operating this site, as it has done with other sites that it feels should continue to exist when the original owners can no longer maintain them.
As is the case with all charitable organizations, it relies upon donations to help defray these increasing costs. If you would like to help, please click on the 'Donate' logo. Thank you!
Website structural development by Lee R. Batchelor
Technical Writer - Port Hope, Ontario
Dedicated to the memory of my grandfather, Captain Lawrence Robb Batchelor, 17th Duke of York’s Canadian Hussars, who courageously fought and survived the Somme, Vimy Ridge, and Passchendaele. Did he spend a few moments with some of the Port Hope boys before engaging in one of those battles? I would like to think so.
Material provided is for personal use only and not to be used for profit.
Copyright © 2000-2021 PJBolton